2016#23 Knit printed maxi-dress with cut-out back detail (Butterick6050 view C) - Maxi-vestido estampado de malha com recorte nas costas

EN Summary: I've been managing to sew one knit dress per week, which is not as fast as some very prolific fellow bloggers can do, but it is a good rate (at least for me). During the working week evenings I cut and prepare the pattern and I cut and mark the fabric; then, on weekends I go through the construction process. Usually I have the dress ready by the weekend without sacrificing valuable family time. This weekend was no exception and I managed to complete this easy dress; keep reading for more!
ETA: You can see me wearing the dress on my personal style blog (click here).
---
PT Sumário: Tenho conseguido fazer vestidos à taxa de um por semana, o que não é tão rápido como algumas colegas blogueiras conseguem, mas é uma boa cadência (pelo menos para mim). Durante a semana vou cortando e preparando o molde, e depois corto e marco o tecido, no fim-de-semana passo à fase de construção. Com estes vestidos de malha consigo ter um vestido pronto no domingo, pronto para estrear na segunda-feira! E ainda consigo passar bons bocados em familia. Este fim-de-semana não foi exceção e tenho este vestido prontinho para vos mostrar. Continuem a ler o artigo completo!
EPA: Podem ver-me a usar o vestido no meu blogue de estilo pessoal (clicar aqui).


Pattern used: Butterick 6050 (view C). I cut size 14 and shortened it 2 inches (because I didn't have enough knit for the full length of the dress). Other than that I didn't make any alterations, except on the construction process.
---
Molde usado: Butterick 6050 (opção C). Cortei o tamanho 14 e encurtei o vestido 5cm (porque a malha não dava para o comprimento total do vestido). Não fiz mais alterações ao molde além desta (embora tenha divergido no processo de construção).
Fabric used: four-way stretch rayon print jersey from http://tecidos.com.pt. The physical shop is actually located in Germany but they do run several websites in different languages, including the Portuguese website. They also supply multi-lingual customer service and I am very happy with the Portuguese call-center. The same for their fast shipping (DHL) and rates (note: I paid full for this fabric and this opinion is my own; I currently have no affiliation with their web shop).
---
Tecido usado: malha jersey de viscose estampada com elasticidade na horizontal e vertical comprada na http://tecidos.com.pt. A loja física fica na Alemanha mas eles têm website em Português, assim como atendimento telefónico a clientes em Português (além de outras línguas). Estou muito satisfeita com o serviço deles, incluindo a rapidez de envio, e os portes cobrados são bastante em conta (as encomendas são enviadas por DHL). Nota: paguei o tecido e esta opinião é a minha; no presente não tenho qualquer afiliação com a loja deles.
EN: The pattern instructions are aimed for sewing with a regular sewing machine (narrow zigzag stitch, double seams, etc). For this dress I didn't use my sewing machine, just my serger and coverstitch machine. I started by reinforcing the armholes and neckline with fusible tape. I reinforced the front piece and one of the upper back pieces (the upper back is self-lined so there are two pieces which are stitched together at armholes, neckline and bottom edge and then turned to the right side and top-stitched).
---
PT: As instruções deste molde estão vocacionadas para a confeção usando uma máquina de costura normal (ziguezague estreito, costuras duplas, etc.). Eu não usei a máquina de costura neste vestido, apenas a corta-e-cose e a recobridora. Comecei por reforçar as cavas e do decote com fita de entretela termo-adesiva. Além da frente reforcei uma das peças superiores das costas (a parte superior das costas é forrada com o próprio tecido, por isso há duas partes iguais que são cosidas entre si nas cavas, decote e orla inferior e depois viradas para o direito e pespontadas).
EN: I serged the center back seam on the bottom back piece of the dress; used a 3-thread Ultra Stretch Mock safety stitch, but this time the differential feed was set to gather to compensate the lengthwise stretch of the knit. The instructions mention making a casing and provide a pattern to measure the narrow elastic. I didn't make the casing, opting for a more "serger friendly" way to apply the elastic. Below there's the elastic I used; it's just regular elastic that happens to have a zigzag printed on it.
---
PT: Cosi a costura do meio das costas na parte inferior do vestido com a corta-e-cose, ponto de orlar de 3 linhas com costura de reforço falsa, mas desta vez o diferencial foi ajustado para 0.6, compensando a elasticidade vertical da malha. As instruções indicam coser um canal para passar o elástico mas optei por uma construção mais indicada para a corta-e-cose. Abaixo podem ver o elástico, que é normalíssimo (tem impresso um ziguezague mas isso não indica nada de especial).
EN: I divided the elastic in 4 equal parts and pinned it to the back edge at 4 equally spaced spots, leaving small tails of elastic on each side. I started serging the elastic to the wrong side, stretching the elastic to match the back edge and removing the pins before they hit the serger blades (the blade should cut the knit and leave the elastic edge intact):
---
PT: Dividi o elástico em quatro partes iguais e prendi-o com alfinetes no avesso da orla das costas, também dividida em quatro partes iguas; deixei um excendente de elástico de cada lado, para começar e terminar a costura apenas no elástico; ao coser, estiquei o elástico para o acomodar à orla e fui retirando os alfinetes antes de passarem pela lâmina da corta-e-cose (que só deve aparar a malha e não atingir o elástico).
EN: Then I set up the coverstitch for a narrow coverstitch using the left and center needles. I also threaded the looper with woolly nylon and the needles with regular mercerized cotton thread (when using woolly nylon, the looper tension should be set to zero). I turned the elasticated edge to the wrong side and coverstitched, encasing the elastic edge between the needle threads. It was my first time attempting this technique and it went really well in my opinion.
---
PT: Depois configurei a recobridora para ponto de recobrir estreito com as agulhas da esquerda e do meio. Na laçadeira usei fio de nylon "fofo" (um fio esponjoso que estica, muito usado em fatos de banho) e nas agulhas algodão mercerizado normal. Quando se utiliza o fio elástico de nylon na laçadeira, o seu disco tensor deve ser regulado para zero. Cosi de forma à orla do elástico ficar presa entre as duas agulhas. Foi a primeira vez que tentei esta técnica e acho que correu bastante bem.
EN: you can see the result, with the narrow coverstitching holding the serged elastic down:
---
PT: Podem ver o resultado, com o recobrimento estreito a segurar a orla do elástico, previamente rematada com a corta-e-cose:
EN: The upper back pieces were stitched together (right sides facing) with a chain-stitch along the neckline, armholes and bottom edge; after clipping the allowances at center back it was turned to the right side. The topstitching was also done with a narrow coverstitch, but this time using the center and right needles, to make it closer to the edge, keeping the edge of the back piece aligned with the presser foot edge. The next photo shows how it turned out:
---
PT: As peças superiores das costas foram cosidas direito contra direito ao longo das cavas, decote e orla inferior usando o ponto de cadeia (uma agulha na recobridora). Depois de golpear as marhens no centro das costas, a peça foi virada para o direito. Usei novamente o ponto de recobrir estreito, desta vez com a agulha do meio e direita, e pespontei à largura do calcador. A foto a seguir mostra o resultado:
EN: Before stitching the shoulder and side seams, the back piece is twisted at the center. Then it is basted on top of the bottom back piece before the side seams were serged.
---
PT: Antes de coser os ombros e as costuras laterais, a peça superior das costas é torcida no meio. Depois é alinhavada sobre a peça inferior das costas do vestido, e só depois se cose esta peça à peça da frente (com a corta-e-cose), fechando as laterais: 
EN: To finish up the neckline and armholes at the front, their edges on the front piece are turned in and topstitched (once again with a narrow coverstitch):
---
PT: Para finalizar o decote e as cavas na frente, as orlas são assentes para dentro e pespontadas (mais uma vez usando o ponto de recobrir estreito):
EN: It worked out really nice because this edges were previously reinforced with fusible tape. They sit flat and snug, just as I like it.
---
PT: O processo resultou bastante bem devido ao facto destas orlas terem sido previamente refoçadas com fita termo-adesiva. As orlas finalizadas assentam bem justas ao corpo sem esbijar, como eu gosto.
EN: Hemming: I basted the hem allowance close to the fold-line, pressed it and applied Steam-a-seam2 to hold the hem in place before coversticthing. I had a magnetic seam guide which didn't work on this machine's plastic bed, so I taped it in place and it worked as a charm. I also used that grey gadget (it came with my Pfaff machine) to level up the presser foot when crossing seams (besides clipping the allowances at the fold line and pressing them on opposite directions).
---
PT: Coser a bainha: alinhavei a bainha próximo da dobra, assentei a ferro e colei a margem de bainha no sítio com Steam-a-seam2, antes de passar o ponto de recobrir. Tinha um guia magnético para costurar a uma distância constante da margem, mas o magnetismo não funciona na superficie plástica desta máquina, por isso prendi-o com fita adesiva de pintor. Também usei o artefacto cinzento que podem ver atrás do calcador; serve para nivelar o calcador quando este cruza costuras mais volumosas (além disso diminui o volume das costuras golpeando as margens na linha da dobra e assentando estas margens em sentidos opostos). O artefacto veio de origem com a minha Pfaff.
Conclusion: The construction of this dress went smoothly and fast, mostly due to the serger/coverstitching techniques which speed up the process while providing a professional finish. The dress can as easily be made using a regular sewing machine, of course. I think this pattern has good "bones" and coordinated with this beautiful print, it made a winning combo. Thank you all for reading!
ETA: You can see me wearing the dress on my personal style blog (click here).
---
Conclusão: A confeção do vestido correi muito bem e foi bastante rápida, muito devido à utilização da corta-e-cose e recobridora que poupam algum tempo, além de proporcionarem um acabamento profissional. É claro que este vestido pode ser feito apenas com a máquina de costura. Acho que este molde tem uma boa estrutura e coordenado com este estampado lindo resultou num magnifico vestido! Obrigada a todos por passarem por cá!
EPA: Podem ver-me a usar o vestido no meu blogue de estilo pessoal (clicar aqui).

14 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I love this new knit dress! It's a great marriage of pattern and fabric. BTW, I had little time to sew when my children were smaller too. Now I work 4 days a week during the summer and loads of extra time means that I can sew as much as I want.

Vicki said...

Gorgeous. Lovely fabric.

Tany said...

Carolyn: Thank you! I was thinking of you when I mentioned my most prolific fellow bloggers! I think I would out match you (or at least try to) if I had the same quality sewing time as you do! Early mornings and Henrique's nap time during weekends have become my prime schedule. It's hard with a full time job and a small child but if I don't fulfill my "addiction" I'm afraid I'd risk becoming a very unhappy mom :))

sewingkm said...

Lovely dress Tany. I've read your blog for a couple years now but first time to comment. I want you to know how much I appreciate your posts always showing quality garments made with such care and sharing your sewing tips. I also continued to sew while my children were small but it was so important for me to create. So, please continue to sew when you can and thanks for your blog. Karen

Unknown said...

I can relate so weel with the very little time for sewing but my need is real.;-) ah ah ah I use every bit of spare time I can.
Love the dres, the shape is really good and I bet it suits you well.

Mónica Martinho said...

Quem me dera que conseguisse tricotar peças com a velocidade com.que costuras!!! Adoro o vestido!

A Rebelde Sem Casa said...

Adoro o recorte das costas! Para mim, és uma costureira extremamente rápida, com a vida profissional ocupada que se vê que tens e um filho :-)

Amanda S. said...

This pattern is in my queue but I've been holding off on starting it. All the posted patternreview.com examples have a stretched out back opening so I thought there might be something wrong with the pattern. However, yours looks perfectly straight and like it hugs the skin so I will have to go ahead with mine. I can't wait to see this on you! It's such a fun pattern!

Tany said...

Amanda: Thank you! I can see the back opening stretching out of shape quite easily with this pattern; I took measures to prevent it from happening (stabilizing with fusible tape, using the differential feed with my serger and taking care to not stretching the seams while serging).

Gail said...

This is one of my favourites from your wardrobe this year. The print is stunning and looks wonderful in these lines.

Bunny said...

I really admire any mom who can get any sewing done with small children in the house. I put my machine away for about ten years as I got too frustrated to deal with the challenge. It became a time of perfecting my hand sewing skills while I practiced things like embroidery and quilting which I could pick up for a moment or two and just leave in a bag on the couch. I understand how difficult this can be and am really amazed at what you continue to make despite the challenge. Beautiful work, once again, Tany.

Tomasa said...

I too echo Bunny's sentiments. I admire that you can get sewing done with small children in the house. I too put my sewing machine away when my daughter was very young. Now that my daughter is on her own, I am sewing again but you are much much more productive than I am with no little children around so bravo to you! Thank you for sharing your techniques. This is a beautiful dress!

Helena A. said...

Olá Tany!
Gostei muito desse vestido!
Onde compraste o molde? Foi online?
Obg e beijos de Lisboa!

Tany said...

Helena A.: Obrigada! Sim, comprei o molde online através do link que disponibilizei (clica no nome do modelo depois do título "Molde Usado" no post). Beijinhos!