How to apply Hug Snug seam binding on stretchy fabrics - Como rematar tecidos elásticos com fita rayon

 EN Summary: In this article I explain how I applied rayon seam binding tape to finish the raw edges of Ponte knit fabric; there are a few tutorials published online on how to apply Hug Snug and I did try the usual method on a sample, but due to the fact of my fabric stretching, the edges would always end up rippling. The solution is quite simple and and also saves me a row of machine stitching.
---
PT Sumário: Neste artigo demonstro como apliquei fita rayon para rematar as margens de costura deste tecido de malha estável (jersey duplo, ou malha Ponte), que estou a usar para fazer um casaco. Há alguns tutorials online de como aplicar fita Hug Snug, mas ao experimentá-los deparei-me com a situação das margens esbijarem ao coser, devido à elasticidade do meu tecido. Adaptei o método a esta situação com a vantagem de também poupar uma linha de pesponto à máquina.



EN: The usual method of applying Hug Snug to bind seam allowances is the "Doubled-seamed Method" (you can read about it and a few other variations here). It involves two rows of machine-stitching: one for attaching one edge of the tape and another to finish it off, encasing the raw fabric edge. It provides a very neat finishing, but when I tried it on a sample of my Ponte knit, I found the fabric would stretch as I sew the first row of stitching, making it impossible to obtain a good result no matter how much I steam pressed in the end. So I tried it a little differently: assuming that your seam is stitched and pressed flat open to start with, instead of the first row of machine stitching I hand basted the tape under the seam allowance, so the raw edge of the SA stays slightly over the middle point of the binding tape (meaning there is slightly more tape under the SA). Also note that I basted very near the fabric's raw edge:
---
PT: O método usual para aplicar esta fita para finalizar as margens de costura é o "Double-seamed Method" explicado neste artigo (clicar aqui). Implica coser à máquina duas vezes ao longo da orla a debruar, uma vez para fixar a fita e uma última vez por cima da fita dobrada envolvendo a margem. O acabamento resultante em tecidos "normais" é bastante limpo, mas quando tentei este método com a minha malha, o que aconteceu é que ao coser a fita à margem na primeira vez, a margem esticou e a costura ficou ondulada. Então resolvi tentar de forma diferente; em vez de coser à máquina, alinhavei a fita à margem, tendo cuidado de garantir que mais de metade da fita ficasse por baixo da margem; notem também que alinhavei muito próximo da orla do tecido:
 EN: Then I turned the other edge of the binding tape over the fabric's raw edge as I machine-stitched, as seen bellow; since there is more tape under the SA, both edges of the tape are caught (above and below):
---
PT: Depois virei a oura orla da fita sobre a margem a cobrir, à medida que cosia à máquina a fita no lugar; como há mais largura de fita por baixo da margem do tecido, ambas as orlas da fita ficam presas, por cima e por baixo:
 EN: Finally I removed the basting thread (easy task because it wasn't caught by the machine stitching) and I gave it a final press:
---
PT: Por fim removi os alinhavos (tarefa fácil pois o pesponto à máquina não passou por cima deles) e assentei mais uma vez a ferro:
EN: This method is quite straight forward and worked fine for me because hand-basting definitely gives me more control; it also saved me some thread, so I will stick with it even when using this tape to bind regular non-stretch fabrics. Hope you guys find this tutorial useful!
---
PT: Este método é simples e fácil de executar e a verdade é que se poupa nas linhas (que não são nada baratas, pelo menos as que costumo usar). Por este motivo devo utilizar este método mesmo com tecidos sem elasticidade. Espero que este passo-a-passo vos seja útil também!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, I love this idea, I will definitely use this method, I like my inside of a garment to look good.

Amanda S. said...

Great technique! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful technique.

Faye Lewis said...

I've never used this product before but have always wondered about it. Thank you so much for sharing.

jane said...

Thanks for putting this up. I love snug hug but have had problems making it really smooth and lovely. this technique seems to work beautifully.

Andy Du said...

Obrigada pela dica. Sabe se há algum produto parecido ao Hug Snug cá em Portugal? Se não, a fita em viés será um bom substituto?
Andrea

tomsmom said...

I'm confused about this. Why would you attach binding to the seam of a knit garment? The fabric won't ravel. What is the purpose?

Tany said...

Andreia: Cá, a fita mais parecida que encontrei é a de organza, mas já vem dobrada, por isso a técnica de aplicar é diferente e tb fica um debruado mais grosso... A boa notícia é que acho que vendem Hug Snug na Amazon ��

Tany said...

Tomsmom: the purpose is getting a neater finish. Even without raveling, pressed open seams without some kind of treatment look "naked" to me. I like my garments to show that I've invested time and extra care making them, even the simplest ones :)

A Rebelde Sem Casa said...

Só por curiosidade, que linhas usas? Eu gosto das da gutterman mas tenho alguma dificuldade em encontrá-las. No sítio onde moro, as retrosarias só tem Coats e acho q não e tão resistente. Bj

Tany said...

A Rebelde Sem Casa: Oi! Eu uso essencialmente Gutterman, mas também Coats (não acho que sejam más, mas prefiro Gutterman). Beijinhos!